Near where U.S. Highway 601 crosses the Salkehatchie River in Hampton County lies the community of Crockettvil1e. In 1861 this
was a part of Beaufort District. Crockettville was known then as Whippy Swamp. The Baptist Church was the center of the
community and in June 1861 the Whippy Swamp Guards mustered up and marched to Beaufort. On July 15, Captain J.J. Harrison
mustered the Whippy Swamp Guards into Confederate service at Bay Point. They were designated Company D.
The Whippy Swamp Guards also dated to the Revolution. They drilled regularly at Old Pocataligo. An annual review was held at Old
Slow Hill near Coosahatchie. Prior to the war Captain John Frampton had led the Guards. He was a delegate to the Secession
Convention. His plantation (Frampton Plantation) near Pocataligo would be the scene of major fighting in 1862 and would shelter
General Sherman on the first night of his march into South Carolina later in February 1865.
DanieI H. Ellis took over the leadership of the Guards for a short time. He would later command the11th after the ouster of Colonel
Heyward. Eventually Ellis would also be promoted to Brigadier General and elected to the State Senate after the Battle of Pocatalgo.
J.J. Harrison led the Guards until the reorganization. At that time he was promoted to Major and assigned to the regimental staff.
Harrison held this position until his death at the Battle of Pocataligo. At Harrison's promotion out of the Guards, J.J. Gooding was
elected Captain. He then filled Harrison's billet on the staff upon the Major’s death.
William. J. Gooding, a former Legislator and very popular individual, assumed command next. He led the Guards until he was
transferred. Exercising his right as an officer be resigned rather than 1eave his men. He immediately went to the Adjutant and
enlisted as a private in Company D. Later he would again be promoted to Lieutenant.
Also serving as officers in Company D were Captain Henry D. Hucks, plus Lieutenant McDonald Gooding, J.W. Bowers, Phillip
Thomas, Osborne J. Sauls and Thomas Jenkins.
|The Whippy Swamp Guards
|Below is an excerpt from Neil Baxley's book shown at the right. It is highly
recommended for those who want to know more about the 11th South Carolina
11th Infantry Regiment [also called 9th Regiment] was organized during the summer of 1861 with men from Beaufort, Clarendon,
and Colleton counties. The unit served in the Charleston area, fought at Pocataligo, then was stationed at Hardeeville. It was
assigned to Hagood's Brigade, then one company was permitted to organize and equip as a light battery (Beaufort Artillery), and the
regiment served with nine companies. During the summer of 1863 it was again active in the Charleston area but later moved to
Florida and then to Virginia in the spring of 1864. Here it fought at Drewry's Bluff and Cold Harbor and in the trenches of
Petersburg. In 1865 the unit moved to Fort Fisher and saw action at Bentonville. It lost 4 killed, 15 wounded, and 2 missing at
Pocotaligo, had 14 killed, 39 wounded, and 12 missing in front of Petersburg (May 6-9), and sustained 14 killed, 28 wounded, and 45
missing at Deep Bottom. Its casualties were about sixty percent in the fight at Weldon Railroad, and scarcely the strength of a
company surrendered on April 26, 1865. The field officers were Colonels Daniel H. Ellis, F. Hay Gantt, and William C. Heyward;
Lieutenant Colonels Robert Campbell, Allen C. Izard, and William Shuler; and Majors John J. Gooding, John J. Gooding, John J.
Harrison, and B. Burgh Smith.
|11th Regiment, South Carolina Infantry (9th Volunteers)
|In August, 1864, during the fighting on the Weldon railroad, 200 of his men, he
accompanying them, charged into the enemy's works at a re-entering angle, and found
themselves under a severe cross-fire, and about to be surrounded. A Federal officer
rode up, seized the colors of the Eleventh and called upon them to surrender, when
General Hagood, on foot, his horse having been killed, demanded the return of the
colors, and ordered the officer back to his lines. This being refused, he shot the Federal
officer from his horse, the colors were regained by Orderly Stoney, and the intrepid
general mounted his antagonist's horse and brought off his men.
|An Interesting Sidelight in the History of the
11th SC Infantry
|General Johnson Hagood
|On Friday, June 24, 2011, Rivers Bridge Camp No. 842 was privileged to participate in
the dedication of a historical marker in the town of Crocketville, SC. The marker is
located adjacent to the venerable old Harmony Presbyterian Church and is to
commemorate the site as the location of the Whippy Swamp Muster Ground
The sign gives us the brief history as follows:
This area, called Whippy Swamp Cross Roads, was in Beaufort District before Hampton
County was created in 1878. In 1840 the Whippy Swamp Guards of the 12th S.C. Militia
built their “militia house” nearby. It hosted inspections, drills, picnics, and political
speeches. Two Confederate companies formed in 1861-62 were made up of men of the
antebellum Guards: Co. D, 11th S.C. Infantry, and Co. D, 24th S.C. Infantry.
Other members of the antebellum Whippy Swamp Guards served in several Confederate
units from this area. On October 22, 1862, at the Battle of Pocotaligo, the silk flag of the
Whippy Swamp Guards was captured by the 48th N.Y. Infantry. Maj. John J. Harrison of the
11th S.C., former captain of the Guards, was killed. The militia house was torn down
shortly after the Civil War.
|Bill and Doug Corbin. Descendants of Privates Edward
Corbin and William Fennell of Company D, 11th South
Carolina Volunteer Infantry
Descendant of Major
John J. Harrison.
|Historic Harmony Presbyterian Church
|Mrs. Beth Booth lends old
southern charm to the new
|Rivers Bridge Camp No. 842
Sons of Confederate Veterans
|Compatriot Ira Beach
of Rivers Bridge
No. 842. Master
|Cemetary Cleanup at Historic Smyrna Baptist Church
March 31, 2018. Gravesite of Dr. Benjamin William
Lawton, signer of SC Ordinance of Secession.
| Smyrna Baptist Church was established in 1827
as Kirkland's Church near Allendale. In 1856, the
name was changed to Smyrna Baptist Church. The
land was conveyed in 1849 by William J. Mixon. In
1882, additional land was given by Thomas H.
Willingham in order to extend the church property
to Matthew's Bluff Road.