The largest Confederate burial trench. This
is burial trench #3, the largest of the
Confederate mass graves. It is suspected
that there may be as many as 721 bodies
interred here, buried seven deep.
Needless to say, the presence of such burial
trenches significantly affects the feel of the
battlefield. All battlefields of the War
Between the States are to some degree still
burial grounds because there is no definitive
way to ever completely rebury all soldiers’
remains from such vast and complex
landscapes. However, Shiloh can literally
claim to still be a burial ground. Whether one
is driving along the tour road or hiking
through the woods, a Confederate burial
trench is not far away. This is not to mention
the countless numbers of individual or small
group burials which still dot the landscape,
unmarked and lost to time. These burial
trenches serve as a reminder of the
enormous and often forgotten sacrifices
made by Confederate soldiers during the
War for Southern Independence.
This page is dedicated to the memory of our Confederate Soldier ancestors and their service to the defense of their
homeland, the South. We honor not only those who perished, but also those who served and went on to endure so called
reconstruction, a period as challenging as the war itself,  as they again did their duty to restore the land that they loved.  It is
due in large part to the character and ability of these men that the South not only survived, but was able to flourish once
J.W. Young
Rembert Church Cemetary

Holcome Legion was organized during the fall of 1861 with a cavalry and infantry battalion. The four-company cavalry battalion served
for a time with the legion, was assigned to the Department of Richmond, and eventually became part of the 7th South Carolina Cavalry
Regiment. The infantry battalion was formed with eight companies, later increased to ten. During the war it was attached to Evans',
Elliot's, and Wallace's Brigade. After serving in South Carolina it moved to Virginia and fought at Second Manassas, South Mountain,
and Sharpsburg. The unit was then sent to North Carolina and later Mississippi. It was active at Jackson, moved to Charleston, and in
the spring of 1864 returned to Virginia. Here it participated in the long Petersburg siege north and south of the James River and the
Appomattox Campaign. This command lost 24 killed and 131 wounded at Second Manassas, had 18 wounded during the Maryland
Campaign, and in September, 1863, totalled 276 men. It surrendered 2 officers and 30 men. The field officers were Colonels William J.
Crawley, Stephen Elliot, Jr., W. Pinkney Shingler, and P.F. Stevens; Lieutenant Colonels F.G. Palmer and Thomas V. Walsh; and Majors
A.C. Garlington and Martin G. Zeigler.
Holcombe Legion, South Carolina
                                    was born in Tennessee around 1830. He was the son of Isaac
and Jane Farner and they lived in the southeastern portion of the state on the
boundary of what were then still Cherokee lands.  In the process of time the
Cherokee ceded their land and the area eventually became Polk County.
The Farner home was located in a primarily mountainous locale and they, as well as
most of the inhabitants, were subsistence farmers.  There were no plantations and
very few in Polk County would have been considered wealthy by any standard.  Put
plainly, the men who served the Confederacy from this county certainly did not do
so to maintain their slaves.  
How valuable it would have been if Isaac Farner had written down his reasons for
going to war, but he did not. In June of 1861 he enlisted in state service in Captain
Hanna’s Company and was received into Confederate service on August 15, 1861
for a period of one year.  This latter was done at Cumberland Gap, Tennessee and
whether or not Isaac had an opportunity to see his home, wife and children again
after that is unknown.
After less than eight months of service, Isaac Farner and Company F, 19th
Tennessee arrived on the field at Shiloh; he would never leave.  On the afternoon
of April 6, 1862, at about 2:30, the Old 19th made a charge across Sarah Bell’s
cotton field toward the “Peach Orchard.” It is believed that it was in this charge
that Isaac Farner’s life ended, but only the Lord knows the details.  Isaac did not
return home and his remains were most likely interred in one of several mass
burial trenches that the Union forces placed Confederate dead in.  Isaac Farner’s
war was relatively short, but he made the ultimate sacrifice and is therefore worthy
to be remembered by his descendants.

Great great great grandfather of Compatriot Charles L. D. Carlson
Sarah Bell's Field
The Nineteenth Tennessee (Confederate) Regiment was raised in Hamilton, Knox, Polk, Rhea, Hawkins, Washington and Sullivan
Counties, and was organized in May, 1861, at Knoxville, with David M Cummings, colonel. It was first distributed over East Tennessee
to do guard duty, and about July 1 was united and stationed at Cumberland Gap. It marched north on the Kentucky campaign; lost one
man killed at Barboursville; was in reserve at "Wild Cat;" fought bravely at Fishing Creek, losing about fifteen killed and wounded.
Afterward terrible privations and sufferings were endured. It moved to Murfreesboro in February, 1862; thence to northern
Mississippi; thence to Shiloh, where April 6 and 7 it was furiously engaged in the awful assaults on the "Hornet's Nest," losing over
100 killed and wounded, and assisted in the capture of Prentiss' division. It was then reorganized and moved to Vicksburg, where, in
the swamps, it suffered terribly from disease, and later fought at Baton Rouge. It then moved north and joined Bragg's army and
participated in the sweeping Confederate victory at Murfreesboro losing over 125 killed and wounded. It moved south and in
September, 1863, at Chickamauga, fought with magnificent bravery, losing over one-third of those engaged. Again at Missionary
Ridge, in November, it was hotly and stubbornly engaged, sustaining severe loss. In 1864, from Dalton to Atlanta, in all the bloody
battles of that memorable campaign, it fought with conspicuous daring and sorrowful losses. Among the slain was the beloved Col.
Walker. It did its duty at Jonesboro and Lovejoy, and in the awful assault at Franklin shed its best blood without stint all over the
stricken field. It fought at Nashville, retreated sorrowfully south, skirmishing at Sugar Creek and Pulaski. It fought its last battle at
Bentonville, and surrendered at High Point, NC, with sixty-four men.
The Old Nineteenth Regiment,
In Memory of
Private Isaac Farner
Company F, 19th Tennessee Infantry
                                              , the son of James Tarlton Carson and Elly Carolyn Fredrica
Hare, was born in Orangeburg District on November 9, 1835. After a productive and
honorable life he passed from this world on December 26, 1904.
Robert initially enlisted in late 1861 in Captain Richard “Dick’ V. Dannelly’s Company
(F)   for a period of one year.  The company became one of ten which comprised the
20th South Carolina Infantry formed on January 11, 1862. When this company was
accepted into Confederate service, the enlistment became for three years.  In this
same unit were Robert’s four brothers who served throughout the war and by the
grace of God returned home afterwards with no visible injuries.
Something about Robert Carson must have stood out because even at his initial
enlistment he is shown as 4th Corporal of his company.  On April 29, 1862, the 20th
Regiment underwent reorganization and Robert’s company became Company D also
known as the Bull Swamp Guards and composed of men from Orangeburg County and
particularly those from the North and Neeses area.  It was during this period that
Robert became a sergeant; a rank that he maintained throughout the war.  
After early service along the coast near Charleston, Robert and his regiment was
transferred in mid- 1864 to Virginia.  Here the relatively untested regiment was
introduced, and quite bloodily, to the “real” war at the Battle of Cold Harbor.  They
were kept quite active during the remainder of 1864. As the war grew darker for the
South, they found themselves on the Salkehatchie River Line in January-February 1865
with the enemy on the very doorsteps of their homes.
The men of the 20th did what was within their power to stem the Yankee flood, but the
Union resources were more that bravery alone could overcome.  The 20th fell back
with the rest of the army to offer battle at Averasboro and Bentonville, but General
Johnston was forced to surrender at the Bennett House near Durham, North Carolina
on April 26, 1865. By this time the regiment had been consolidated with the 2nd
(Palmetto) Regiment to form the (New) 2nd Regiment SC Infantry.  On May 2, these
survivors received their paroles at Greensboro and made their way home.
Confederate Veteran Robert A. Carson returned home and in time, enduring so-called
reconstruction, he picked up the pieces, married Miss Corosia Simons Cain, raised a
family of nine children, and became prosperous.  On March 9, 1891, Robert donated
land for a railroad to be built.  Today as you ride along US 321 between Livingston and
North, the railroad that runs parallel to the highway occupies that same donated land.  
The new bridge that crosses the North Edisto River there has also been named to
honor the Carson Family.  Robert Archer Carson has left many descendants who can be
justly proud of their ancestor; a loyal South Carolinian who did his duty both as a
soldier and a citizen and is worthy to be remembered and honored.

Great grandfather of Compatriot C.B. Hughes
                                                           was born July 13, 1842 to Samuel Henry and
Mary Ann McLeod. He lost three siblings, Haley Adele, age 19, Mary Ann, age 11
and Samuel Henry II age 7 in May 1860 in an accident at Boykins Mill Pond. This
accident also claimed the lives of 22 others.  In August 1861, at age 19, he enlisted
in the Confederate States Army in Camden, SC. He was a part of the cavalry of
Holcombe’s Legion, named after SC Governor Francis Pickens' wife, Lucy
Holcombe Pickens. Where he served during the period of enlistment up until 1864
is uncertain as the muster rolls for that period don’t exist. We do know that he was
paid in December 1863 and sometime between March and August 1864 he was
detailed as a courier for General Beauregard as the Muster roll for that period
indicate he was absent for that reason. In early September 1864 he was at the
hospital in Kittrell Springs NC, reasons unknown, but he was issued clothing in
that location, presumably prior to being sent to Petersburg, VA. By this time, the
cavalry of Holcombe’s Legion had been consolidated with several other
companies to form Company I, 7th SC Cavalry which was in city. From here they
moved through Richmond and on to Appomattox where J.W. Young and the others
of his company were surrendered by General Lee and paroled on April 9, 1865.
After returning home, J.W. became a farmer and married Addie Jane. They had four
children. He was also active in the United Confederate Veterans, South Carolina
Division, J.D. Graham Camp in Hagood, SC. In 1896 he was elected an officer of this
camp. J.W. Young died on September 10, 1911 and is buried in the Rembert Church
Cemetery, Woodrow, SC.

Great grandfather of Compatriot Samuel E. "Jule" Young
Sergeant Robert Archer Carson
Company D,  20th South Carolina  
Looking toward the Hornet's Nest at
In the Old Saint Nicholas Cemetery,
not far from Rivers Bridge, lie the
mortal remains of a Confederate soldier
whose grave I am honored to tend. I am
honored firstly because he was a
Confederate soldier and secondly
because he was my wife's
great-Grandfather. His name was
George Perry Williams.
George Williams, twenty-four years
of age and a farmer by occupation,
became Private George Williams when
he entered Confederate service on
Thursday, January 2, 1862, at Camp Lee
near Charleston. He became a member
of Captain H.J. Kearse's Company G,
17th Regiment of South Carolina
Volunteers. This Regiment would one
day be listed as
one of the ten best regiments in the
Confederate Army.
The 17th SCV occupied several
camps of instruction in the Charleston
area and participated in the Battle of
John's Island on June 8-9, 1862. By
August 1862 the Regiment had moved
to Virginia where it took part in the
skirmishing around Malvern Hill on the
6th of that month. The Regiment, a part
of Evans' Independent Brigade,
continued to move and next went into
action at Rappahannock Station on the
23rd of August. The 17th SCV's next
major contact with Union forces would
be at a place called Manassas. This was
the second battle fought at that location
and the struggle is also known as
Second Bull Run. Here the Regiment
suffered 62% casualties and Private
Williams was one
of them. Evidently the wound was not a
major one because he was with the
Regiment as it clashed with Yankees at
South Mountain on Sunday, September
14th. In this action the 17th took 43%
casualties out of 141 men available for
duty. Private Williams was not wounded,
but, unknown to him, a place called
Antietam was waiting. On September 17th
the Regiment, with 59 able bodied men,
participated in one of the bloodiest
battles of the War for Southern
Independence and suffered 32%
casualties; among them was Private
George Williams.
From February 1863 until June of
1864 the 17th Regiment served in
various Departments in Mississippi,
Louisiana, Georgia, Florida and South
Carolina. In June of 1864 they returned to
the Department of North Carolina and
Southern Virginia and in October
rejoined the Army of Northern Virginia as
part of Wallace's Brigade, Johnson's
Division, 4th Corps. At this time these
forces were engaged in the Siege of
Petersburg which lasted from June 1864
until April 1865. The 17th SCV lost 135
men in the Petersburg mine explosion
that is widely remembered as "The
Crater" and took place on Saturday, July
30, 1864, at about 4:55 AM. "A fort and
several hundred yards of earthwork with
men and cannon was literally hurled a
hundred feet in the air," was how a
Confederate soldier described it. In spite
of this, Confederate forces were able to
hold their positions and Federal forces
suffered many casualties before being
able to withdraw.
The Siege of Petersburg continued
and in an effort to break it, the 17th
South Carolina took part in General John
B. Gordon's attack on Fort Stedman and
surrounding entrenchments. With the
element of surprise in their favor, the
Confederates quickly overwhelmed the
Union forces and soon three-fourths of  
a mile of Yankee positions were in their
hands. Because there were no troops to
exploit the success, the Confederate
attack stalled. In the following Union
counter-attack, many Confederates,
including Private Williams, were cut off
and became prisoners. Private George
Williams finished the war at Point
Lookout, Maryland where he took the
oath of allegiance on June 30, 1865. He
was transferred to the Hospital Steamer
Connecticut and then to Armory Square
USA General Hospital in Washington,
D.C. partially paralyzed on the left side
of his body. He was ultimately released
on August 16, 1865 and made his way
home to South Carolina. A physical
reminder of his service was with him for
the rest of his life; you will note in the
accompanying photograph that one
hand is covered to conceal its
Like most South Carolinians George
Perry Williams was a common man; he
had no great plantation and no slaves
We welcome all compatriots to honor their ancestors by submitting a history,
however brief it may be, of that soldier's service to the South.  If a photo of the
Veteran, in uniform or not, is not available, a photo of the Veteran's grave marker
is suitable.
The webmaster is willing to assist you in obtaining records, etc., to aid you in your
effort. As President Davis reminded us, "It is our duty to keep the memory of our
heroes green."
Submitted by Charles L.D. Carlson in memory of Private George Perry Williams.
Honor Roll
Dum Spero Spes